A Beginner's Guide to Decarboxylation
Posted on April 07 2022
Decarboxylation, also called decarbing, is the process of heating herbs (i.e., rosemary, thyme, sage, etc.) at low temperatures to alter the plant properties naturally found in raw herbs. It does this by removing a carboxyl group and releasing carbon dioxide (CO2).
This process occurs through heat and time. The high temperatures required to decarboxylate compounds make them readily available for the body to absorb at high potency. Different compounds require different temperatures but having an understanding that heat and time are the two main components of this recipe helps beginners navigate decarboxylation.
Decarboxylation: What are the Benefits?
The decarb process allows us to alter our plants’ properties for desired flavors and herbal benefits. If you’re looking for a DIY solution, we suggest decarbing your fresh herbs by using a decarboxylation kit, which has all the heat-resistant accessories you need to make decarbing easy!
Decarbing at Home
ONGROK’s Decarb Kit makes decarbing at home simple and easy. It includes all the parts and accessories you need to prepare your herbs for any culinary adventure.
- What is Included in the Decarboxylation Kit?
This kit of durable, heat resistant decarbing accessories make it easy to get your herbs exactly as you want them.
- 4oz Decarb Container made of food-grade 304-stainless steel for even and accurate heating
- 190-micron filter
- Oven-safe mini mold kit
- BPA-Free, 100% food grade silicone mini oven gloves
- How to Decarb with the Decarboxylation Kit
- Using the 4oz Decarb Container, simply add your desired type and amount of herbs to the container. We recommend dried rosemary or basil!
- Secure the lid on top.
- Close the air lock but DO NOT CLOSE the 4 side latches – These latches are there for storage and need to stay open while the container is in the oven.
- Decarb inside the oven for 25-30 minutes at 230°F / 110° C
- Use the oven glove to remove the container from the oven. Pull valve to decompress and allow to cool.
- Enjoy your dehydrated herbs responsibly!
How to Prevent Odors from Decarboxylation
While traditional methods of decarboxylation may result in a somewhat noticeable odor, using a designated decarboxylation kit can help smells dissipate. The air-tight container helps with odorless storage while also keeping items fresh. To help prevent odors and improve the longevity of your decarbed herbs and food items, we suggest placing one of our 62% 2-way humidity packs inside the container for added freshness. If you are still concerned with lingering odors, ONGROK also has an odor eliminating spray with ingredients that bind to and break down odor-causing molecules, rather than masking them.
Ready to get started with decarboxylation? Whether you are a beginner or have experience with decarboxylation, ONGROK has the tools and accessories you need to make decarbing simple, easy, and fun. Find high quality materials, modern designs, and discreet solutions to meet your everyday lifestyle needs when you shop with us.
For additional questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us today at email@example.com or give us a call at 1(866)-362-4551.