DIY Herbal Tincture Recipe
Posted on March 17 2023
Herbal tinctures are a great way to extract the beneficial properties of herbs and plants. They are easy to make, cost-effective, and can be used in a variety of ways, such as adding them to your favorite beverage or using them in cooking. In this article, we will share a simple DIY herbal tincture recipe that you can make at home.
- 1 cup of dried herbs (of your choice)
- 2 cups of vodka or other high-proof alcohol
- Mason jar
- Amber glass bottles for storage
- Start by selecting the herbs you want to use for your tincture. Some great options include chamomile, lavender, peppermint, echinacea, and elderberry. Make sure you use high-quality, organic herbs that are free of pesticides and other harmful chemicals. You can store any excess herbs for your next batch in reusable silicone bags.
- Next, place the herbs in a mason jar and pour the alcohol over them. Make sure the herbs are completely covered with alcohol.
- Seal the jar tightly and store it in a cool, dark place for two to four weeks. Shake the jar daily to help extract the properties from the herbs.
- After two to four weeks, strain the tincture through a cheesecloth and into a clean jar or bowl. Squeeze the cheesecloth to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Pour the tincture into amber glass bottles for storage. Make sure to label the bottles with the name of the tincture and the date it was made.
- To use the tincture, add a few drops to your favorite beverage or use it in cooking. You can also take it directly by placing a few drops under your tongue.
Use a high-proof alcohol like vodka, rum, or brandy. This will help extract the properties from the herbs more effectively.
Make sure to use a clean and sterile jar when making the tincture. This will prevent any bacteria from growing in the tincture.
Store the tincture in a cool, dark place. This will help preserve the properties of the herbs and prevent the tincture from spoiling.
Start with a small amount of tincture and gradually increase the dosage as needed.
How To Use Your Herbal Tincture
To use a herbal tincture, start by determining the appropriate dosage for your needs. This will vary depending on the specific herb and the intended use of the tincture. Check the label or consult a healthcare professional to determine the correct dosage.
Once you have determined the appropriate dosage, measure out the tincture using a dropper or other measuring device. Many herbal tinctures are taken orally by placing the desired amount under the tongue and holding it there for a few seconds before swallowing. This allows the tincture to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream for faster and more effective results.
Alternatively, herbal tinctures can be added to a small amount of water or juice and consumed orally. Some tinctures may also be applied topically to the skin to treat skin conditions or injuries.
It is important to follow the dosage instructions carefully and to use herbal tinctures only as directed. If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any underlying medical conditions, consult a healthcare professional before using a herbal tincture.
Making your own herbal tincture is a simple and cost-effective way to enjoy the benefits of herbs and plants. By following this DIY herbal tincture recipe, you can create your own tinctures using high-quality, organic herbs and a few simple ingredients. Remember to use a high-proof alcohol, store the tincture in a cool, dark place, and start with a small amount of tincture before gradually increasing the dosage. With a little bit of patience and practice, you can become an expert in creating your own herbal tinctures.