How To Make & Store Chili-Infused Oil
Posted on March 17 2023
If you are a fan of spicy food, you may have tried chili-infused oil. This tasty condiment can be used in a variety of ways, such as drizzling it over pizza, pasta, or grilled vegetables. Making chili-infused oil at home is surprisingly easy and can save you money in the long run. In this article, we will show you how to make and store chili-infused oil.
- 2 cups of vegetable oil or other neutral oil
- 10-15 dried chili peppers
- Mason jar
- Dark glass bottle for storage
- Start by selecting the type of chili peppers you want to use. Some great options include Thai bird's eye chili, arbol chili, or cayenne pepper. Make sure the chili peppers are completely dry before using them.
- Next, heat the oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the dried chili peppers to the oil and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. This will help infuse the oil with the flavor of the chili peppers.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Once the oil has cooled, strain it through a cheesecloth and funnel it into a clean storage jar. This will remove any chili pepper particles from the oil.
- Seal the jar tightly and store it in a cool, dark place for at least a week to let the flavors infuse. The longer you let it infuse, the stronger the flavor will be.
- After a week, strain the oil again through a cheesecloth and funnel it into a dark glass bottle for storage. The dark glass bottle will help preserve the quality of the oil.
Make sure the chili peppers are completely dry before using them. This will prevent any mold or bacteria from growing in the oil.
Use a high-quality oil like extra virgin vegetable oil. This will give your chili-infused oil a rich flavor and aroma.
Adjust the amount of chili peppers based on your personal preference. If you want a milder flavor, use fewer chili peppers. If you want a spicier flavor, use more chili peppers.
Store the chili-infused oil in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight. This will help preserve the quality of the oil and prevent it from spoiling.
How To Use Your Chili Oil
Chili oil is a versatile oil that goes well with things such as dumplings, wontons and in porridge. It can easily be added to other recipes. It can also be substituted for other frying oils. For instance, try frying your eggs with chili oil instead of with butter or canola oil for additional fragrance and spice. You can also experiment with your chili oil by frying scallions and ginger or other aromatics to change its flavor profile.
In conclusion, making chili-infused oil at home is a simple and cost-effective way to add flavor and spice to your meals. By following these easy instructions, you can make your own chili-infused oil using high-quality ingredients and a few simple steps. Remember to use dry chili peppers, a high-quality oil, and store the oil in a cool, dark place. With a little bit of patience and practice, you can create a delicious condiment that will elevate any dish.